Here is a Celtic album, for the lover of Scottish music, that encompasses most of the musical stylings from the five distinct regions of Scotland; the Lowlands, Border Uplands, Shetland Islands, the Hebrides, and the famous Highlands.
This album is extremely diversified, with the slow aires and laments being done with hammered dulcimer, harp, cello, and wooden flute, to create an almost classical feel to the tunes. The more up-tempo tunes again feature Tim Crouch and DeeAnn Gillispie on fiddle, Bob Bielefeld on fife and penny whistle, and Bob Murphy on lead guitar and tenor banjo. At the time of this recording, Featherstone featured Cindy Tellone on bass violin, and Albee Tellone on guitar and superb mandolin harmonies.
Last but not least, there are some great Highland Bagpipes on three tunes with bodhran and snare drum for percussive highlights. The hammered dulcimer is the main instrument, as always. If you want to order it, just click here.
Special Thanks to
Dr. Bill McNeil of the OZARK FOLK CENTER, for the history of the tunes.
Produced by: Joe Jewell and Bob Murphy for Featherstonemusic
Recorded at: Raney Recording Studio, Drasco, AR 72530
Engineered by Jon Raney
Bluebells of Scotland
The following are 30 to 60 second clips. Total CD Running time is 61:23
- 01 Bluebells of Scotland/Farewell to Whiskey 01 Bluebells of Scotland / Farewell to Whiskey
- 02 Neil Gow’s Lament on the Death of his Second Wife02 Neil Gow’s Lament on the Death of
- 03 Jig O’Slurs 03 Jig O’ Slurs
- 04 The Atholl Highlanders 04 The Atholl Highlanders
- 05 The Bonnie Lass O’ Bon-Accord 05 The Bonnie Lass O’ Bon-Accord
- 06 Peerie Hoose Ahint the Burn/Spookiskerry/Sleep Soond I’d a Mornin’ 06 Peerie Hoose Ahint the Burn _ Spo
- 07 The Saint Kilda Wedding/Marie’s Wedding 07 The St. Kilda Wedding _ Marie
- 08 Tam Lin 08 Tam Lin
- 09 The Skye Boat Song/The Highland Boat Song 09 The Skye Boat Song _ The Highland
- 10 A Scarce O’ Tatties/The Craigellachie Lasses/The One Hundred Pipers 10 A Scarce O’ Tatties _ The Craigel
- 11 Jamie Allen/Down the Brae 11 Jamie Allen _ Down the Brae
- 12 Macpherson’s Farewel/Lord Lowat’s Lament 12 Macpherson’s Farewell _ Lord Lova
- 13 The Flowers of Edinburgh/Jack A Tar/Campbell’s Farewell to Redcastle 13 The Flowers of Edinburgh _ Jack A
- 14 The Emigrant’s Farewell/Loch Lomond 14 The Emigrant’s Farewell _ Loch Lo
- 15 Calliope House/I’ll Get Wedded in My Auld Clothes 15 Calliope House _ I’ll Get Wedded
- 16 The East Neuk of Fife 16 The East Neuk O’ Fife
- 17 The Dark Island/The Battle of Glencoe 17 The Dark Island _ The Battle of G
- 18 The White Cockade/The Campbells are Coming 18 The White Cockade _ The Cambells
- 19 My Love is But A Lassie Yet/Miss Macleod’s Reel/De’il Amand the Tailors 19 My Love is But A Lassie Yet _ Mis
- 20 Amazing Grace 20 Amazing Grace
- Joe Jewell -Hammered Dulcimer
- Albee Tellone – Guitar and Mandolin
- Cindy Tellone – Bass Violin
- Therese Honey – Harp
- Bob Bielefeld – Flute, Penny Whistle, Fife
- Max Dyer – Cello
- DeeAnn Gillispie -Fiddle
- Tim Crouch -Fiddle
- E.J. Jones – Highland Bagpipes
- Randy Wholtke – Snare Drum
- Bob Murphy – Lead Guitar, Tenor Banjo
- Emily Dugas – Bodhran
I have published a companion song book that contains sheet music of all the songs on the CD, written in easy to read music notation. It is suitable for hammered dulcimer, guitar as well as other instruments..
The Bluebells of Scotland accompanying song book.
contains sheet music of all the songs on the recording.